Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Book Review: Illusion by Frank Peretti


I have always been a fan of Frank Peretti. He is a gifted writer with a great imagination. When I was offered the change to read his new novel, "Illusion" I couldn't wait. It was so well written, and the story so unique I couldn't have read it in a day had I had the time.

The story is Dane and Mandy, a married couple that performed a successful magic act. After 40 years of marriage Dane loses his wife in a car wreck, or so everyone thinks. He moves to his wife's home town to try to figure out how to live life without his wife whom he loved so very much. He stumbles upon a young lady performing magic in a coffee shop that shows promise. Perhaps he can mentor her and get on with living.

Mandy, who was supposedly dead, awakes in the present time as a 19 year old who thinks she still lives in 1970. Disoriented and frightened, Mandy must find her way in this world on her own. She discovers that she has mysterious magical powers and uses those powers to make a living, finding much joy in her work.

Once Dane starts working with Mandy they find they have an attraction to each other that is unexplainable. The rest of the story is full of mystery, intrigue and also love and restoration. I found the story to be original and hard to put down. It was well written and very engaging. I would highly recommend it!

2 comments:

Italia said...

I am absolutely amazed. I'd grew up reading Peretti, so I started Illusion with high expectations, and I was not disappointed in the least. Frank Peretti has not diminished in writing, style, or imagination; Illusion proves it. My only qualm was that, while the magical descriptions at the beginning were wonderful, the story dimmed a bit from the middle to the reveal. It needed a bit more magic there...

I've always been a fan of books that make you think. Illusion is certainly among the best I've read in that category. The big reveal comes two-thirds of the way in, but it's better that way. Wrapping things up took a while, but it was still intense. I appreciate Peretti's approach concerning the ending, that is, not giving the reader an emotional high to boost their view of the book. He ended it very well, in peace and quiet (nevertheless leaving the reader longing for more).

DebbieP said...

I couldn't agree more! Thanks for your input! God bless!