Monday, August 27, 2007

Be Still

Psalm 46:10
"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." (NIV)


Is it just me, or do you find it hard to be still? Most of us have schedules that are jammed packed, we fill every waking moment with some kind of input or another and can't even be content with choosing one input at a time. I watch children listen to music or the television while playing a video game. Most adults flip from channel to channel on the TV and on the radio. I know I multi-task any way I can to be sure I get the most done in a day I can. Be still? When!

What's even funnier is when I do try to be still, I find I am really lousy at it. I have to constantly refocus my mind and work at concentrating on listening to God. I don't know if I have ever been really successful. I do try to listen to Him through His Word, however and I know He speaks to me in that way. But I would love to get good at being still so that I can truly KNOW that HE is GOD because I need Him. I have felt like I have been in a desert for a while now. I need a drink from the Holy Spirit and you know what? God knows I need that drink. This morning I read in a devotional book a few scriptures on that very subject:

"I will make springs in the desert, so that my chosen people can be refreshed." Isaiah 43:20, (NLT)

"I will give you abundant water to quench your thirst and to moisten your parched fields. And I will pour out my Spirit and my blessings on your children. They will thrive like watered grass, like willows on a riverbank." Isaiah 44:3-4, (NLT)

"And I will give you treasures hidden in the darkness - secret riches. I will do this so you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Israel, the one who calls you by name." Isaiah 45:3 (NLT)


WOW - God will not only provide the water to refresh us right there in the desert, but he will water our fields and He will pour our His blessings and His Spirit on our children. What a comforting promise to know how well He will be taking care of our children. The provision is abundant and they will thrive, not just live! God is so Good! He is also fun and creative, hiding treasures and secret riches so that we can know that God is God.

He has been sending me refreshing water and encouragement over the last few days and I am so grateful to him.

No comments: