Wednesday, January 9, 2008

God is doing a New Thing!


Isaiah 43:18 - 21

"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland.

The wild animals honor me, the jackals and the owls, because I provide water in the desert
and streams in the wasteland, to give drink to my people, my chosen,
the people I formed for myself that they may proclaim my praise."

I just read this scripture this morning and I am so thankful to God for leading me there. I think most of us deal with the past (some more than others), and the past can be a crippling thing. Bad memories and past hurts can fill us with resentment and hinder us here in the present. Like I have shared recently, God is teaching me to let go of the past. The temptation to keep thinking of how someone hurt me or did me wrong can be so strong. In a twisted way it feels good to nurse a wound. But as this scripture points out, dwelling here takes me to a wasteland, a desert.

But what wonderful encouragement! God is here in the desert! He causes streams in the wasteland to spring up! He is doing a new thing and I will miss it if I refuse to leave the past. I want to drink from the streams God is causing to spring up. I want to be a part of the new thing God is doing. Will you join me?

3 comments:

Debbie C. said...

You know that is so true. And if it's any encouragement to you, I used to be very resentful and defensive. I still have trouble getting hurt by people but I don't hold on to it as long as I used to and I don't find myself defending as I used to. I don't know if getting older has helped (hee hee) or just realizing that it doesn't do me any good. I think some personalities are just more prone to that type of reaction, but regardless, the scripture is very clear that it hurts no one but ME!! I will be praying with and for you on this. I know God can and will deliver you and it sounds as if He already has begun that work in your heart. I also like the new look of your blog and love your calendar. Love you!!

Rick Womack said...

someone read this scripture aloud saturday at the 'dress rehearsal' for the new building - i think it was dinku...anyway, yes, he's doing a new thing - awesome promised from God's word!

DebbieP said...

Thanks for the prayers! I think age definitely helps, and also realizing that it doesn't do any good doesn't hurt either! By the way I noticed you changed the look of your blog and it looks great!