Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Faith of a child

The Faith of a Child

I have worked with children most of my adult life. I love kids and have learned so much about God working with them. God tells us,

"I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." Mark 10:15

Well, you'd think that I would have this concept down pat, since I see every day just what God is talking about. Kids think, "God said it so I'll do it" and not over-intellectualize every command of God. They don't worry about where their food is coming from or if they will have clothes. They simply trust. There is not the
"but what about..." that we adults allow to clutter or thinking and ruin our faith.

Until this summer we will be living on less money than normal due to UGA making its employees take one furlough day a month for 6 months to cut the budget. This has been totally stressing me out because we needed all our pay to make our budget work. I felt like I was already cutting, scrimping and be as frugel as I could before these cuts. I literally stressed and wigged for the entire month prior to the first pay cut. Then I dived into that months grocery shopping and what did I learn by the month's end? Well, duh! God came through and helped us more than we could have immagined! We had money left over!

Well, I did it again. I stressed because Thanksgiving and Christmas take more money than normal months. I was stressing because the heating bill rose this month. Then Sunday God spoke through Pastor Mel and I was convicted by my total lack of faith. Did I learn nothing from the kids I so love to work with? So I repented. Monday we had more unexpected expenses with illness. My entire family has had to get on antibiotics for walking pneumonia/bronchitis. I stressed again, but as I started to stress I felt convicted and repented. God gave me peace.

He is in control and knows my situation, and even knows how to provide for all we need. I know that and I have to believe that over what I see in my circumstances. God is much more real that what looks real in this life and He loves me and will provide everything we need. God is so good! how can I doubt? It saddens me to think I hurt God by my doubting.

Well, no more! I am determined to keep on trying to learn this lesson until I really do have the faith of a child!

No comments: