Friday, August 22, 2008

Walking in the Truth




I was reading Starr's blog Starr...Like in the Sky and her posting Abolishing the Lies. I also read "The Purpose Driven Life" devotional today and it used this scripture:

I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.
John 1:4 (NIV)


Since they both went hand in hand I thought I'd better pay attention! We are faced with lies on a daily basis, and most of the time we don't even recognize them for what they are, lies. Most of the time we believe them for truth because we were "raised that way" or it is simply an accepted "fact" in our society.

For example: I am an emotional reactionary kind of person that has always struggled with having a bad temper and lack of self control when I am angry. I always thought it was just part of my personality because, after all, my Mom is just like that. Somehow several years ago God helped me see that I was wrong and that He didn't create me to be like that. He has been helping me change ever since and I really think I have improved. I have by no means arrived, but I have improved.

Here is another example - fear. A child may be afraid of a tree outside of his window, or afraid of thunder. When we help them to see truth, usually they aren't afraid any longer. What is scary about that tree? It looks different in the shadows of night, and when it sways in the breeze the child's imagination takes off! The truth is that the tree isn't alive or evil, it just looks different at night.

First we have to recognize the lie, then find God's truth and focus on the truth. Starr addresses specific lies that pertain to her role as a single parent and addresses each one with God's truth. We should follow her example with our lies and allow God to work His Truth into our lives.

No comments: