Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Shack


I just finished reading, "The Shack" by William P. Young. I have never read a book quite like this and I must say that it was wonderful. If you haven't read it I would encourage you to do so with an open mind and an open heart. This book challenges our "religious" ideas about God and others and attempts to help us seek a real and personal relationship with God.

If you have read this book I would love to hear your thoughts. What touched you the most when you read this book?

For me there were several things.
1. God loves us more than we can comprehend, and He will go to great lengths to save and heal us.
2. He is not limited so He can do whatever He wants!
3. Just when you think you are starting to figure Him out, you find He is still greater than you could ever imagine.
4. I am far more judgmental of others and God Himself than I ever want to recognize and admit.

God's love is so hard to grasp. We never love as much a God does and we tend to project ourselves on God. Isn't that funny, but we do because that's all we know and understand. But God is so patient with us and nothing ever surprises Him! I love that about Him.

Since He has always known everything, He is never shocked when I sin. His love is steady and unchanging and I can never do anything to make Him love me more (or less)! That is great news!

Hurry up and read this book so we can talk!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I read it this summer! It rocked my world!

Rick Womack said...

debbie,
yep, it messed me up too!

i'm usually not much of a crier, but this book broke me down...your point #4 was one of the most eye-opening things for me as well.

now that you've read it, you understand our passion behind wanting others to read it as well.
when i have time, maybe the next couple of days, i'll post some links on my blog that are posts referring to this book as well.

love you guys,
rick

DebbieP said...

I borrowed this book from and friend but wish that I owned it so that I can re-read it multiple times. What an anointed book! I can't see how someone could possibly read this book and remain unaffected.

Debbie C. said...

Okay, I'm ready to read it!!