Friday, June 20, 2008

Courageous Grace

I read this devotional today and just had to share it with all of you. A story like this helps me see that I take so many things for granted, like being able to praise my Lord and God. I take this privilege for granted and get too busy to praise the Maker of Heaven and Earth. The One who gave me life everlasting. How can I let this world consume me when my God has done so much for me. Please allow this posting to speak to your heart and kindle your love for the Lord anew.


Courageous Grace


He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and hear and put their trust in God.
-- Psalm 40:3

It was talent night at one of our Family Retreats, and Cindy, a young woman with severe cerebral palsy, was the last one scheduled to perform. Cindy's mother pushed her daughter in her wheelchair out onto the platform. Cindy, she told us, had been working hard all week on her song... Amazing Grace. But how was this going to work? Because of her disability, Cindy couldn't speak. Then her mother walked off stage and left Cindy alone. The young woman laboriously stretched out her twisted fingers and pushed a button on her communication device attached to her chair. And out came the monotone computerized voice, Amazing grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me.

As the computer continued the hymn, Cindy turned her head to face us, the audience, and with enormous effort, began to mouth all the words, as best she could. What's more, her smile lit up the entire place. It was a performance that any opera star or top Christian recording artist would envy. Amazing grace is not a new song, but that night, it was sung in an entirely new way. Although Cindy was unable to sing the words, it rose up as a ringing hymn of praise to God. I can imagine the angels leaning over the edge of heaven, filled with wonder, to catch every word.

*********

In some parts of the world today, people risk their very lives to praise Jesus in public. And there are men and women like Cindy, who unashamedly lift up his name with physical and emotional difficulty we can't begin to understand. The question is, if we are so easily able to praise the name of Jesus without physical struggle or fear of reprisal... why don't we?

Thank you, Lord for the courageous example of this young woman who declared your praise even when it was very difficult. Teach me, Lord, from her example.

Blessings,
Joni and Friends

Taken from Pearls of Great Price. Copyright © 2006 by Joni Eareckson Tada. Used by permission. Zondervan Publishing House, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49530

No comments: