Monday, April 14, 2008

Pick a Side


"So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other." --Galatians 5:16-17


Sometimes the Christian life feels like a game of tug-o-war between our fleshly selfish desires and our desire to please God, doesn't it. The danger, I think, is in thinking there is a middle ground to stand on. We can't pretend that we can stand in the middle and not choose a side. We can't live selfishly and think we are living for God. There are only 2 sides, hot and cold. We either live by the Spirit or the flesh. How do we tell which one we are living? This scripture clearly tells us our fruit will be the indicator. If we are living to please ourselves we will chose sinful things that go against the Spirit. I battle my selfish desires every day. Sometimes I willfully choose to please the sinful nature. But when I make myself choose what is right, I always have a peace inside which tells me that was the right choice and God's way is indeed the better way. I want to learn to make God's choice more and more often to become like Jesus.

No comments: