Monday, March 17, 2008

Are you a Pharisee?


"To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, Jesus told this parable: 'Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: "God, I thank you that I am not like all other men." But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, "God, have mercy on me, a sinner." I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.'" --Luke 18:9-14


How can we tell which person we are most like - the tax collector or the Pharisee? I feel myself thinking I may be int he middle of both, not really like either. But the Lord's Word's fro. Luke 18 are a great test. I find the results of that test quite disturbing. I can find fault with anyone but myself it seems. Oh I know I'm not perfect, I just like to ignore my faults. It is so much more fun to fix everyone else. I need a huge dose of the Lord's prescription for the situation - a horse pill full of humbleness.


Who are you most like? Please join me in seeking to be humble because I want God to exault me, I think it will be far better to humble myself than to force God to do the dirty work. He has done so much for me, is this too much to ask? I think not!


No comments: