Friday, January 25, 2008

The Weary Traveler


The Weary Traveler collapsed in the middle of the rocky road. Handing his head in defeat, he buried his face in his hands and cried, "Lord, I just can't go any further. I'm too tired. I give up!"
Jesus knelt beside the Weary Traveler, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"Look!" Jesus encouraged, pointing to the path just ahead. "It isn't as steep. There are fewer rocky places and smaller potholes. If you look farther into the distance, you can see that the path is smooth, surrounded by towering shade trees, rippling brooks, and flowers bursting with color. There's a nice place to stop and rest just around the bend. I know - I've taken this path before."

Shaking his head in dismay, the Weary Traveler sighed, "I can't go one step further. My strength is gone. I just can't make it. It's no use.

"But look!" Jesus said, pointing to the path behind them. The ground they had covered was dangerously steep, strewn with heavy, sharp boulders, deeper than a man is tall. "We've come so far. Don't give up now. To do so would be like building a house then burning it to the ground."
The Weary Traveler began to weep. "I'm just too exhausted. I can't."

Jesus smiled at the Weary Traveler, placed His hands tenderly around his face, lifting his eyes to His. Jesus' eyes radiated with a warmth and love that washed over the Weary Traveler like a sunbeam. With deep, unlimited compassion, Jesus reassured him: "You don't have to do it alone. Lean on me. I'll help you.

The Weary Traveler's tears slowed. He looked hopefully into Jesus' eyes, and with the last vestige of strength left in his body, reached out his arms to Jesus. Jesus told hold of his hands, pulled him to his feet, and firmly planted His arm around the Traveler's waist. Every time he stumbled, Jesus held him up. Whenever he started to veer off course, Jesus guided him back to the center of the path. When the sun beat down upon them and the Weary Traveler's mouth was parched dry, Jesus gave him refreshing, cool water.

"Thank you, Lord. I couldn't do any of this without You," the Weary Traveler said, wiping his mouth with a slight smile.

Jesus laughed with delight. "This is what I love doing most, My child. I was sent to help you find your way home. We'll take it slow. There will likely be unexpected detours along the way, but as long as you stick with me, we'll get there. And that, my good friend, is a promise that cannot be broken.

~Mandy Gordon