Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Don't Hold Back


"Don't hold back. throw yourselves into the work of the Master, confident that nothing you do for Him is a waste of time or effort."
~1 Corinthians 15:58. The Message

You know, this is easier said than done. When I first started serving I was very gung-ho. I threw everything I had into the ministry. Over the years things happened and, although I didn't realize it, I let those hardships chip away at my enthusiasm. I finally reached a point of burn-out. I know that if I could have always kept my eyes on the Lord and not circumstances or hardships or even other people, I would never have experienced burn-out. But I love this scripture. It reminds us that even the smallest thing we do for Him is not a waste of time. If we clean the toilets at church or pick up a bulleting to clean the sanctuary, it is not a waste. The smallest kind word is not a waste. Showing up week after week is never a waste. We are working for the Lord, not for man, and I for one need frequent reminders of that fact. I think we should all look for ways to bless and encourage one another. But if we are not getting these things from people we still need to keep in mind that it is God whom we are out to please, not man. So learn from my mistakes and throw everything you have into serving the Lord and never loose your zeal for Him. If you are not serving Him in any way, seek God and ask where He wants you to serve. You are missing out on blessings when you do not serve. We are all a team, and if we all do our part, we can bring many into God's flock together!

2 comments:

Debbie C. said...

This is so great and I see you doing just this with the children week in and week out. Thanks for your sacrifice and labor of love. You are incredible!!

DebbieP said...

Thank you for the kind words. The blessings the kids give me make it no labor at all. I feel selfish almost because they give me so much. I do love them so.