Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Iced Mocha for your Spirit


[Jesus Said,] "Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out by religion? Come to Me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with Me and work with Me - watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." Matthew 11:28-30 The Message



I love the way the Message version translates this verse. I need this verse as I am so burned out by religion and worn slap out. I call this Iced Mocha for Your Spirit because I just love a frozen mocha frappaccino. They cost way too much but they make me feel pampered and they are really refreshing. They are one of the special ways my husband shows me he loves me. But this verse is talking about real refreshment. We can learn it from Jesus Himself.

It sounds so simple. He tells us to come to Him and He'll teach us. Isn't that just like God? It is man who complicates things. But it takes some real faith but I want to learn how. I am spending time with him every day but I never get to focus for long because my kids end up needing me for something and I have not been willing to get up really early to try to be alone. So I do my bible time while they are taking their bible class and I am learning to go to God with everything, to try to learn to focus my mind on Him, to seek Him to love Him and love like Him. I am a work in progress like everyone else and I am grateful to God for His patient loving ways. I like my frappaccinos but I need God's real refreshment.


No comments: