Thursday, August 30, 2007

Ephesians 4:29-32
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. (NIV)

I happened to open my bible to this passage a few minutes ago. This is one that I have underlined and that I have read many, many times because I need it. Do you know how hard it is to not let ANY unwholesome talk come out of my mouth? I guess you do because you are human just like me. I think I have been learning a little by stages and I figure I will be a work in progress until I get to go to Heaven. Lately I feel totally convicted for jokes and sarcasm that may hurt someone's feelings. If it didn't build that person up, I shouldn't have said it.

Now I am becoming more sensitive to what I shouldn't have said, and I want to get to the point where I realize that I shouldn't say it before I say it! I think that if this skill is mastered perhaps the other problems listed in the verse could be avoided. For instance, if I only say things that build the other person up, I probably won't be as likely to get into a fight. These things just seem to lead to one another.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

That verse is underlined and highlighted in bible as well! It sounds like a simple principle to follow. Yet it is so easy to get caught up with life and not realize the "unwholesome talk" that is coming out.